Dental Whitening Kit
All you need to know about dental whitening kits and how to use them.
More people than not drink things like coffee, soda, juice, red wine, etc. on a daily basis. While these beverages may not be bad for the body in general, they definitely are not the best thing for your teeth. People who drink these drinks, especially on a daily basis, will often find that they struggle with teeth that are yellow in color or look dull and stained as a result of those dark liquids getting on the teeth over and over.
Thankfully there are a few things that can be done to help combat this issue! One method people can take to help get their teeth sparkling white once again is to use over the counter teeth whitening kids. These kits are not going to be cheap, but they are certainly not as expensive as having to go to your dentist several times for whitening treatments.
At-home dental whitening kits are made to be user friendly and as easy to use as possible while still giving users the amazing results that they are looking for and giving people shiny whites again!
How Whitening Kits Work
When it comes to using whitening kits in your home, you want to make sure you follow the whole process the right way, otherwise, it will not work properly and can lead to you not lifting all the stains that you are wanting to get off of your teeth which means you are just wasting a lot of money.
1. Check to see if the kit has results that are clinically proven by real dentists
Before picking any dental whitening kit, no matter which brand you choose to go with, make sure that the product has been clinically tested by real dentists and are proven to deliver big results that you want. You want to make sure that the one you are interested in comes recommended by dentists as you know that if dentists tested and recommend it then it more than likely works pretty well!
2. Check to see how fast it is supposed to work to lighten your teeth
- How fast do you want to see your teeth go from being yellow and/or stained to nice and shiny white?
- Do you perhaps have a big event coming up where you want whiter teeth?
- Or are you happy to give it time so you have nice lasting results?
There are some kits that offer results in as little as a couple of days, and while this sounds great and can work for special occasions, it is not something to use for daily use as it can be damaging to your teeth. Real whitening kits take time to work and you will need to put it on your teeth over and over again. Kits that promise results, just maybe over a longer period of time, still work and are probably more gentle on your teeth than those who promise results in just a few days if not even faster.
3. Watch out for irritation on your teeth and/or your gums
As stated above, a lot of whitening strips, trays, gels, etc. have a lot of chemicals in them to lift and remove stains from the surface of your teeth. If used too often or for an extended amount of time, you will notice that your teeth and your gums becoming more sensitive and/or irritated. They may be sore and irritated all the time or possibly just sensitive when you eat or drink cold or hot beverages.
If you notice any of these things happening, discontinue use and give your gums a break. If after you discontinue use and it still continues to irritate you, seek the advice of your dentist as they can make sure there is no damage and can help give you ways to work against it and feel normal again.
4. Ingredients in teeth whitening products
As you may suspect, the biggest reason that people experience gum and tooth discomfort and irritation after using a dental whitening kit is a result of the ingredients that are used in the chemicals themselves. The main ingredient in most of these products is hydrogen peroxide which breaks down into oxygen and water. Hydrogen Peroxide is a very powerful ingredient that gets surface stains and yellow-ness off of teeth very easily.
However, the ingredients such as carbamide peroxide are very dangerous to your mouth as they decompose into harmful chemicals like ammonia. Check the ingredient list and stay away from whitening kits that contain ingredients like carbamide peroxide so you do not damage or compromise your enamel's safety.
5. How easy is it to use
The last thing you want to look at is how easy the kit you are looking at is to use. No one has time to try and fiddle with strips that are hard to put on or creams that get all over your hands and don't stay on your teeth. Look at reviews of different kits before you buy one and pick one that is not only effective and gives lasting results, but one that is affordable and easy to use as well.
If you are considering whitening your teeth at home to enhance your appearance, make sure to do your research and find out which one you think will suit your teeth and your lifestyle the best. Then, consider these pros and cons before buying one!
Pros of Whitening Your Teeth at Home
- Your smile will be brighter and whiter than it has been in a long time
- The whiteness usually lasts for about a year depending on how often you drink staining beverages like coffee, tea, and wine
- New technology has made it so you probably will not experience too much discomfort
- It usually only takes thirty minutes to an hour per session to get the beautiful results you want
Cons of Using Teeth Whitening Kits at Home
- If you have fillings, specifically in your front teeth, then they are not going to get white. Be aware that this means you will have a splotchy look and the whiteness will look uneven. Your natural teeth will get white but the fillings are going to remain the same color. Just be aware that this is what happens and decide if it is worth it.
- Even with advancing technology and new ways to go about whitening your teeth at home, you may still experience some tooth sensitivity. People who are already likely to experience sensitivity will more than likely get a little tender. That sensitivity and tenderness can last about 3 days to a week. If it lasts any longer it is important to speak to your dentist ASAP.
Once you weigh out all of the options and consider the pros and cons of going forward with whitening your teeth at home, it is then time to decide whether it is something you want to do or not. You can easily get pearly white teeth in the comfort of your own home, but if you have any doubts at all, consult your dentists and they can help you make the right choice of a dental whitening kit that is both effective and safe for your mouth.