LED Light Teeth Whitening
Your teeth can be whiter and smile brighter by going for a brightening treatment at your dental practitioner’s office or simply opting for any available home solutions. The remedy options within your disposal include whitening pens, strips and strays, and brightening paste. Any of the solutions you use can be valuable in maintaining healthy oral care.
As per the AACD (American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry) LED light teeth whitening is one of the common procedures preferred by people seeking the services of cosmetic dentists. The enhancing dentistry procedure is popular since it is not only slightly invasive but also quite effective and safe.
Now, since this at-home cosmetic dental procedure is known to work by improving your smile appearance, but is it really right for you?
The Working of Led Light Teeth Whitening
According to the American Dental Association, the whitening procedure has been scientifically proven to help in teeth brightening.
In whitening, there are two popular practices you can choose from, which are either using bleaching products or using products without bleaching agents. Of course, if the whitening involves bleaching products it means it is possible for the elimination of ingrained external teeth stains. By contrast, products with no bleaching effect are not that thorough for your surface teeth whitening.
A LED tooth lightening is a procedure that works by relying on a bleaching substance. Nonetheless, understand that the home-based treatment system has a bleaching agent that is not as concentrated as what your dentist may provide.
Typically, the light-emitting diode system involves:
- LED lights for treatment over the particular duration
- Whitening substance applications
- Bleaching/whitening trays
The use of the blue LED light in whitening is for accelerating the reaction of the bleaching agent which leads to faster brighter and whiter teeth.
The Safety Concerns of LED Teeth Whitening
From the range of whitening solutions such as LED teeth whitening you can use at home, be aware of the bleaching substance concentration and your teeth sensitivity level. Different bleaching systems may come with varying levels of concentration of the whitening gel which may cause heightened teeth sensitivity particularly during the early stages of application.
If you are apprehensive about the possibility of LED damaging your teeth, there is no need for that.It has been established that teeth damage is not likely since the light source is categorized under cold light. LED has been developed to be much safer for your home use than UV light.
Looking At the Best Whitening Solution for You?
Before deciding the appropriate treatment for achieving white teeth, ideally, you should first commit to understanding the effectiveness of LED teeth whitening. That is in comparison to the other whitening options you can access at home.
According to ODJ research, there are factors determining the efficacy of the LED light whitening procedure. Some of the factors include the treatment duration, lifestyle, and the level of teeth staining before treatment. By and large, going to the office of a dentist to achieve a natural teeth color is much more effective compared to reliance on home-based solutions.
If teeth brightening products do not use bleaching agents, the result is only partial removal of teeth stains. Regular toothpaste comes in handy in eliminating discoloration, even though brightening pastes are more abrasive and produce better results.
The Usual Oral Hygiene Should Be Maintained
There are various options for achieving your desired at-home teeth lighting including the TADSmile teeth whitening gels and kits. Using any of the procedures and solutions for teeth brightening can provide up to six whiter shades within a short period.
Remember that at-home whitening should serve to supplement your usual oral care. The use of the teeth whitening procedure alone may fail to attain and maintain any meaningful teeth hygiene if regular teeth care is abandoned.
Healthy oral hygiene habits such as regular food particles and plaque removal and teeth brushing are useful in the maintenance of proper oral health and getting a brighter smile. Make sure you learn how to properly brush your teeth and do teeth flossing.
Sensitive Teeth Treatment after Being Subjected to Brightening
It is normal if your teeth become more sensitive after undertaking LED teeth lightening. In such a case, to try and minimize the sensitivity and discomfort, below are some of the solutions that may come in handy.
- Sensitivity dentifrice use. This type of toothpaste relies on the use of different ingredients like potassium nitrate having the ability to alleviate tooth discomfort and sensitivity.
- Gum chewing. Researchers have been successful in unearthing that chewing gum, particularly sugar-free helps in the production of extra saliva. The result is that there is a neutralization of the acids or substances left behind by the whitening system. Gum chewing is also beneficial in reducing teeth sensitivity as it can divert your attention away from the associated pain and discomfort.
- Skip using whitening solutions for a period. It is only right that when experiencing teeth sensitivity after using brightening products then you should either stop its use for a period or avoid the teeth cleaning option altogether.
Ways of Safeguarding Your Teeth from Staining After Whitening
Once you have completed your teeth whitening treatment plan, the next logical step of course is to maintain the bright smile. Subsequently, take a look at the various tips you can observe for preventing tooth discoloration.
- Observing healthy oral hygiene. Regular teeth cleaning, at least twice daily is recommended for eliminating dental plaque and tartar accumulation around your teeth. It is the food debris that causes the yellowing of the teeth. Daily flossing and mouthwash together with teeth brushing can help you accomplish the best oral care.
- Adhere to the treatment instructions. A teeth whitening plan must never go beyond the recommended duration. Not following the provided expert dentist instructions can lead to even more teeth discoloration.
- Drink beverages using straws. Acidic drinks like sodas are known for increasing teeth staining. When you use a straw, the elements causing discoloration do not come into contact with your teeth significantly. Make sure you avoid consumption of teeth staining drinks and foods such as tomato sauce, soy sauce, black coffee, cola, Balsamic vinegar, and berries.
- Do not smoke. Chewing or smoking tobacco products is a common contributor to teeth discoloration. Nicotine is the main ingredient that contributes to the change of the teeth color. Apart from the yellowish appearance emanating from smoking, it can also cause gum disease. Avoiding smoking can translate into brighter teeth and smile as long as daily oral care is observed.
- Go for regular in-office checkups. When you visit your dental practitioner’s office, your mouth health will be checked for possible issues like cavities. It is only after a comprehensive regular examination of your gum and teeth that you can be advised accordingly.
Benefits of LED Whitening
Most kits for LED teeth brightening are below $70. The option is more relatively affordable than when you have to visit the office of your dental hygienist or dentist. Though at-home brightening kits may not last long, there is delivery of excellent results.
LED whitening kits have been clinically tested to be effective in delivering whiter teeth and a brighter smile. Note though that the success or failure of the teeth whitening procedure will depend on how you follow the simple instructions given.
It is possible to see the proper long-lasting results within a few days of using a LED whitening kit.
You can access the teeth whitening solution for use at the comfort of your home at any time. There is no booking of appointments with your dentist for teeth checking and administering the treatment.
Does Not Involve UV Radiation
Initially, UV radiation was commonly in use as a source of light for teeth whitening. But it was realized that UV light is not safer as it affects cells and tissues resulting in mutations. In your mouth the existing cells and tissues are very sensitive which may worsen the effects of UV radiation including
- Enhancing tooth sensitivity
- Bleeding and burnt gums
- Oral cavity inflammation
- Impaired stability of teeth color
- Enamel deterioration prematurely
- Oral cancer
On the contrary, LED light is a safer and effective alternative to UV light.
Alternatives to Blue LED kits
There is an array of procedures that claim to be herbal or natural for delivering whiter teeth. Some of such conventional treatment options include tooth brightening pastes made using a combination of baking soda or charcoal.
Be aware that most of the teeth whitening options including the highly acidic lemon juice have not been clinically proven and may be ineffective and more damaging to your oral health. Unproven solutions for brighter teeth may increase discoloration and cause gum diseases.
The main reason you may prefer at-home teeth restoration in attaining the natural white color instead of visiting the office of a dentist is that it is relatively affordable. But the input of a dentist must not be eliminated from your regular dental care plan. For instance, a dentist may know that teeth whitening products may not be suitable for you or your children and may advise on the correct treatment plan.
Also worth remembering that Blue LED lights teeth whitening are made to be safe for use at home even to people that are not knowledgeable and are untrained. The LED light wavelength cannot damage your gum and teeth like UV light.